PE and Games are taught as part of the integrated EYFS curriculum and as discrete subjects in KS1 and KS2 following the National Curriculum 2014 guidance. Please click on the links below to find out more.
In Early Years PE is taught less formally within the context of the wider range of learning opportunities presented to the children rather than a discrete subject.
- Children show good control and co‑ordination in large and small movements.
- They move confidently in a range of ways, safely negotiating space.
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns.
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate, such as football, netball, rounders, cricket, hockey, basketball, badminton and tennis, and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- Take part in gymnastics activities.
- Take part in athletics activities.
- Perform dances.
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Swimming and water safety: take swimming instruction and undertake water safety training.
PE Provision and Delivery
Class teachers teach PE. Woodlands belongs to the Telford and Wrekin Sports Partnership. As part of this partnership, pupils have access to a wide range of specialist sports coaching. Teachers have access to support from PE specialist teachers to help improve curriculum delivery and the teaching of PE. Pupils have access to a wide range of competitive sporting activities organised by the sports partnership. Woodlands has a purpose built, multi use games pitch and an Under 11 FA standard football pitch. The school also has a multi-use games hall. Woodlands is part of the Sports and Community facilities on the Abraham Darby Campus. As part of this sports community Woodlands has access to both the swimming pool at the attached leisure centre but also access to the gym facilities.
Please click the links below to see how we assess children’s Physical Education progress at Woodlands:
Please see the attached website links, to support remote learning: